Friday, January 4, 2013

Why I Love Main Street

I took some much needed time off over the holidays.  I spent my days playing princesses with my daughter, baking sweet treats and watching every sappy holiday movie I could find.  After a while, I couldn't help but notice a pattern in the plot lines.  A tragedy would befall a person/family (around the holidays, of course) and just when all hope seemed lost, the community would rally together for an impossibly wonderful happy ending.  And every time I encountered one of these movies, I felt myself welling up with tears when the people stepped forward to save the day.  Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm not exactly the emotional type.  I started to wonder, did I take too much time off?  Was I overwhelmed with holiday spirit?  After much soul-searching (and several Santa sugar cookies), it finally hit me.  This is what we do.  Or more specifically, this is why we do it. 

I came to work in my downtown after stints at an advertising agency and a special events firm.  While I enjoyed the work, I always felt like something was missing.  Truth be told, I was bored at my current job and looking for a new challenge when I heard that they were looking for a Promotions & Marketing Coordinator for my hometown of Rochester.  In my first interview, I met the man who would become my mentor and lifelong friend, Bob Donohue, Director of the Rochester DDA.  We hit it off right away and after 15 minutes of chatting, he told me that they were narrowing the field to 6 candidates and that I would definitely be one of them and to expect a call next week.

So I sat by the phone for the next month and had almost given up when the phone finally rang for my second interview.  I thought I was meeting with Bob again, so you can imagine my surprise when I walked into a room of seven people.  The next 45 minutes were some of the most painful and awkward that I can remember.  Quite frankly, I was talking faster than I could process what I was saying and to this day I am really not quite sure what came out of my mouth.  I just remember a lot of laughing - not sure what that meant.

After I was finally able to get out of there I headed back to work and, like any girl, I called my Dad to tell him how awful it went and that there was no way I was getting the job.  As he was using the standard Dad-isms - "It just wasn't meant to be", "There's something better out there", my other line was ringing.  So I let my Dad go and picked up the call - "Yes, is Kristi Trevarrow there, this is Bob Donohue calling".  I blurted out "hold please" and set the phone down on the desk.  My first thought?  Wow, I've never had anyone call to tell me I didn't get the job.  So I gathered my thoughts, tried to slightly change my voice and picked up the phone again.  Bob told me that as soon as I left the room, they knew that I was the one.  I was speechless.  I immediately accepted the job, not even knowing what I was really getting into and without asking what the job paid.

So what does any of this have to do with those holiday movies?  Hold on, I'm getting there.  What I didn't know then, was how much this job would impact who I am as a person.  I love my job not because of all the cool stuff I get to do every day, but because of what it all amounts to - helping people.  I know that saying that we make a difference may seem cliche, but I really believe it.  It is an amazing feeling to know that what we do every day has the power to create jobs, inspire community pride and investment and, my personal favorite, puts smiles on people's faces. 

Community painting of the historic Rochester Elevator.
Yes, clearly I watched one too many Hallmark Channel movies this holiday season, but the feeling that I got watching those movies is the feeling I get every day that I am fortunate enough to have this job.  And I thank my lucky stars  that for some inexplicable reason, they took a chance on a crazy girl like me.  My perspective on life is completely different than it was before I started here almost 15 years ago.  This job has taught me what is really important - people and our community.  Main Street is what ties it all together.  Through Main Street we are able to make incredible things happen, not through the efforts of a few, but with the support and dedication of many.  And that my friends, is why I love Main Street. 

Kristi
The Downtown Geek

P.S. - Don't get used to this cuddly version of me.  Next blog, I'll be back to form so you better buckle up and get ready to work!



4 comments:

  1. You are speaking my heart here, Kristi! I think these kind of thoughts daily. Love my job and love my community. Love any community who understands this concept. Thanks for sharing your introduction to our beloved and crazy Bob Donahue. Loved that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi: Wow, well said, What can I say? You are a true Main Streeter and always have been from that day one you spoke of in your blog. You made me misty eyed to say the least. I must admit that I was bitten by the Downtown/Main Street bug while I was working in Monroe about 153 years ago in 1979. If I am your mentor, then yo are the ultimate "Star Pupil". That is thye truth!But, forget all of that. You are one of my best friends and that is a gift of Downtown Rochester that I will always have. So, like those sappy Holiday Movies that even I watch with my wife or daughters, you make my day when I read a story like yours. It is a story that I suspect is repeated in some way in many Main Streets, like Mollie in Ortonville and other downtowns across the USA. Main Street is often difficult to describe, but you nailed it! Loved it! If the love we have for downtowns and the people who make them special is real and inspires others, then we have done our jobs even better than we imagined possible. Take care and we will write many more chapters in our Main Street book, one way or another. Stay tuned!
    Friends forever,
    Bob Donohue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn it Bob, you made me get all misty again! Truly, by giving me this chance, you gave me the greatest gift I could possible imagine, you showed me where I belonged and I will be forever grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this is so true. Finding a place where you can use all of the talents developed earlier in life and being helpful to the community at large. What a gift it is to work in this field.

    Donna Ann Harris
    Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete