Tuesday, October 11, 2011

So You Want To Be A Downtown Manager...

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me how I got into this job (okay, I'd have about $11, but I digress).  Most people I know in this field never intended to be here and typically have a long story, filled with twists and turns that led them to the magical place known as community development.  I asked my fellow geeks what they think are the keys to success for anyone in downtown development.  As you might imagine, they had a lot to offer.

I took the best of the best, added a few of my own and here's the final product:

10. Flexibility - Accept the reality that there isn't just one way to do things.  Strong organizational skills are important, but you need to know when to scrap the plan and try something different.

9. Opportunist - The ability to look at your downtown and see what could be.

8. Crazy - Let's face it, we're all a little crazy in our own way.  You need to learn how to harness your craziness for the good of your community.

7. Patience - It's a fast paced job, but not everything moves as quickly as you might like and road blocks come out of nowhere.  Take a deep breath, focus on your goals and keep a smile on your face.

6. Talk People Into Anything - Getting people to say yes to giving you money, time and the green light to do some pretty quirky stuff is an art form.

5. Talk People Out of Anything - Taking a step back from a new idea to do some due diligence without squashing enthusiasm.

4. Broad Shoulders - You'll have to do the heavy lifting and be a shoulder to cry on.  Both are equally important.

3. Enjoy Rejection - You'll hear the word no a lot.  It's nothing personal, remember that.  Embrace the rejection as an opportunity.

2. Believe In Something - People follow those who inspire by their actions and beliefs. You have to believe in your community and what your organization is doing.  If you don't, why would anyone else?

1. Be MacGyver - You need to be able to create anything out of a paper clip, the Dukes of Hazzard First Season DVD and a stick of bubble gum.

So there you have it.  A not-so-scientific study into what makes a downtown manager tick.  What do you think of the list?  What's missing?

Kristi
The Downtown Geek

Want more?  Seek The Geek on Facebook!

4 comments:

  1. I like number 6 the best. Getting out into the community and talking to businesses is usually a trigger to greater things happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are downtown managers born that way? I think they have most of your list to begin with and learn the rest in order to survive. Do you give lessons on "MacGyver"ism?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like 6 too, though 5 can be a handy back-up when all else fails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I'm borrowing this for my own success Kristi. Thank You. I remember sitting at your dinner table when you told me about that plan for the downtown. We were just kids in our twenties. Look what you've accomplished! You are amazing my friend. :) Well done.

    ReplyDelete