Monday, April 11, 2011

When Is The Right Time?

I recently attended an event and overheard a politician explaining to his constituents that with state of the economy and impending budget cuts that "this is not the time for new ideas". Not the right time? Really? I can't think of a better time to come up with new ideas. What could happen? It's not like you could make things worse.

Without overstating it, this statement haunted me for days to follow.  Nevertheless, it made me think. Is this same sentiment ringing through downtowns across the country? Have we been so paralyzed by the economic pressures around us that we have stopped generating new ideas?  It's easy to fall into the routine of waiting for opportunities, but it's so much more satisfying to get out there and create them yourself.

In true geek form, I have a good brainstorming session at least once a week, even going so far as to keep paper and pen on my nightstand in anticipation of those inevitable 2 a.m. revelations. When was the last time you brainstormed? It could be about a specific project, committee or event. Maybe an age-old problem that you set aside long ago. It's a great way to engage and re-energize your committees and staff.

Do all good ideas cost money? Absolutely not. Simple, easy ideas can yield some valuable results. For example, in my downtown we host Facebook Fridays. During these monthly events, merchants can come in for Facebook "Tech Support". Whether they need help setting up a page or are looking for suggestions to use their page more effectively, we set aside hour-long appointments to address their needs. Since its inception two years ago, over 140 of our downtown businesses are now on Facebook.

Something unexpected happened along the way on Facebook Fridays. Within that hour-long period, we started talking. Not about Facebook, but about what was happening in their business. Over the two years of hosting these trainings, we have gained supporters & volunteers, identified and addressed businesses needs and most importantly, we found new ideas.

So go ahead and get those ideas flowing?  What's the worst thing that could happen?

Don't forget to seek The Geek on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Madonna Van FossenApril 11, 2011 at 9:05 AM

    Ok, a couple things.....how often do you host Facebook Fridays? Would you be willing to let me sit in on one of these sessions as I'd love to start thatservice here.

    I had a brainstorming session with Property owners just last week about hosting a "Property Tour". During our discussions they came up with an idea that actually is less work on my part (I love that) and takes a more realistic, proactive approach for all involved. I agree - brainstorming is really a great tool to use.

    On a side note, I found including food with brainstorming meetings I get better turnouts....have you experienced the same? Thanks for another great article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Madonna,

    We typically have Facebook Friday once per month. You are more than welcome to sit in. I'll email you when we set the date for the next one.

    And yes, food is always a nice lure for brainstorming. I also find that if you keep your discussion focus on a particular topic for each session, you receive much better results.

    As always, thanks for the feedback and support!

    ReplyDelete